Hello and Welcome to Titans Lacrosse 2022!
If you already received this email I apologize, I am just following up now that registration is closed. If you are returning we are so happy to have you back, and if you are new to the sport we are super pumped to have you come and learn with the Titans this season! Some of us may have met or chatted already but for those of you I have not met, my name is Ernie Hancock and I am the U6/U8 director for this season. I have a long background in the game in both a coach and a player capacity, and as director of such a young age group I have an overall focus on developing fundamentals of the game, teamwork and team building, and most importantly having fun. Please feel free to email with any and all questions you may have leading up to the season. For now let me send out some general information to help with your preparation for the season.
- Registration is now closed. If you have any friends or family that still want to put their kids in they will go on a waitlist and will only be able to register if we have someone drop out.
- The schedule will be out ASAP. I have been fielding lots of questions on when the schedule will be done. I am currently in the process of building teams, once those are done I will upload them to the Titans website and RAMP, where the scheduler will then pair them with a set schedule. I will send out an email letting everyone know when this is done.
- This is totally voluntary but could you please email me if you have any scheduling conflicts like hockey or soccer, I can try my best to accommodate schedule but it will be difficult. I am also trying to avoid stacking one team with several multi sport athletes. We are fully aware there will be some conflicts with schedules out there but if possible I don't want to leave one team with 3-4 players on a Tuesday night where lots are gone for hockey for example.
- I would like to put out a call for coaches(1 U6 and 2 U8 Heads) and assistant coaches to submit their interest as soon as possible. To be on the bench you will need a CLA Community Development level certification, and a criminal records check. All costs covered by the Titans. I would like to get whoever is interested organized as soon as possible, its not a huge time commitment to get done, its a 2 day course and I believe its available online now as well. Once you take it you are set to be on the bench for your child until they move into the competitive levels. There are several offerings coming up but we need to get people registered soon. Expectations would be to perform practice planning, to be able to attend the weekly floor time and year end tournament and some parent and volunteer coordination. Teams are small at this age, and I have found coaching to be relatively pressure free and very fun, so please reach out if you are interested and I can get you some more info. If you have coaching background in hockey but are new to the sport do not hesitate to put in for a head coaching position as fundamentals are the focus at this level and can be taught to coaches through clinics and experience. No experience at all but want to help out? By all means please put in to help assistant coach on the floor. If you have already submitted coaching interest I will be in touch shortly.
- In the U8 division the goaltending position will rotate. Some have already expressed interest, and if there is no one else they can stay in that position if they please, but everyone will get a chance to try if they would like.
With the way Sherwood Park has allotted our floor times we will be looking at a majority of time slots on either Tuesday or Thursday, with potential to also include Wednesdays after June. We tried to get a set day because we know it is beneficial for parents trying to organize other activities, but there was a lot of competition for floor time especially if hockey goes long. In June if all goes well with the public health situation, we should be able to do a tournament which would likely be on the weekend. Most floor times for U6 will be at The Shell and Broadmoor arenas, with some floor at The Arena when it opens up to us. I have just been informed that the Titans may be hosting 2 additional Saturday games vs. out of town teams, more to come on that.
- When the season starts each team will need a jersey parent and potential manager to assist the coaches with off floor logistics, if you have interest in these positions be sure to email me or let your coach know when teams are formed.
- At the U6 level, we do consider one friend request but we cannot promise that they will be accommodated. To submit a friend request each parent needs to email me and I will make note of it and do my best to make it happen. Kids always have more fun playing with their friends but we need to ensure the teams are on an even playing field for experience and numbers.
- For protective gear, each player will require a lacrosse stick, helmet (with face guard), kidney guards, arm pads, mouth guard, shoulder pads, gloves, an athletic cup, knee pads and indoor running shoes. For a good example, please have a look to the Titian's website under Parent Resources and click on Equipment. Lots of hockey equipment is transferable here and depends on whats comfortable for the player and more importantly how much mom and dad are looking to spend!
- This year due to our Titans rebranding all players will be given FREE shorts with registration which our executive is very excited about. As well this will be our last year labelled as "Timbits" lacrosse, and as such, the kids will be able to keep their jerseys at the end of the season. These two pieces in addition to our $99 dollar registration fee are all geared to have kids fall in love with a new sport, make new friends, and most importantly have a great time!
I hope this helps in your pre season preparation, please feel free to email me with any other questions or concerns. Thanks for your time, look forward to seeing you on the floor!
Sherwood Park Titans Lacrosse